2016-2017 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 20, 2024  
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Tuition and Fees

Rates for tuition and fees are established by the North Carolina General Assembly, the University of North Carolina, the President of the University of North Carolina, and Fayetteville State University. The university reserves the right to change fees and expenses without prior notice to the students or the general public. Prior notification of change will be provided whenever possible.

The tuition and fees include state tuition (in-state and out-of-state rates), activities and service fees, and insurance. Additional charges for room and board are assessed to students who reside on campus. All students who reside on campus are required to purchase a meal plan. Optional meal plans are available to commuting students. In addition to these basic costs, other fees and expenses may be charged to students for special services. A complete list of current tuition, fees, and other expenses is available at the cashier’s office or online at http://www.uncfsu.edu/bursar/fees.htm.

Method of Payment

Tuition, fees, and room and board charges are due by the last day of late registration for each semester or term. Payments can be made by cash, cashier’s check, personal check, money order, credit or debit card, third-party sponsors, or financial aid. Students planning to use financial aid to pay their bills must meet all financial aid application deadlines to ensure availability of funds at the time of registration. Students with an account balance after the last day of late registration must enroll in a monthly payment plan with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) or their registration will be dropped for nonpayment. Students can contact TMS at 1-888-463-6994 or online at www.afford.com/uncfsu. The monthly payment plan is not available for summer sessions.

Military Personnel and Dependents

Any active duty member of the armed services qualifying for admission to Fayetteville State University but not qualifying as a resident for tuition purposes shall be charged the in-state tuition rate and applicable mandatory fees for enrollment while the member of the armed services is abiding in this State incident to active military in North Carolina.

Any dependent relative of a member of the armed forces who is abiding in North Carolina will be eligible to be charged the in-state tuition rate if the dependent relative qualifies for admission to Fayetteville State University. In the event the member of the armed services is reassigned outside the State of North Carolina, the dependent relative shall continue to be eligible to receive in-state tuition and applicable mandatory fees so long as the dependent relative is continuously enrolled in a degree program.

To be eligible for the in-state tuition rate the applicant must submit a military residency application by the deadline established by the Admissions Office.

Refunds/Adjustments of Tuition and Fees

Refunds and/or adjustments of tuition and fees will be made only to students who withdraw from all classes in which they are enrolled for the semester, and who complete the official process for withdrawing from the university. (See next section.) Students wishing to withdraw from all classes must initiate the withdrawal process by reporting to the Center for Personal Development located in room 155 of the Spaulding Building. Students who fail to complete the official withdrawal process will not be eligible for any refund or adjustment of tuition, fee, or room and board charges. Ceasing class attendance does not constitute official withdrawal from the university.

Official University Withdrawal Process

Before deciding to withdraw from the university, a student should consult with his or her advisor to discuss the reasons for the withdrawal, and the student’s plan for continuing his or her education. If the student and advisor conclude that withdrawal from the university might be the best option, the student must complete the official university withdrawal process, which is initiated in the Center for Personal Development located in the Spaulding Building, Room 155. The appropriate steps in the process are as follows:

  1. Upon entering the Center for Personal Development, the student will be asked to discuss the reasons for the possible withdrawal. If unable to resolve the problems, the counselor will ask the student to complete the online withdrawal form. If this is a telephone conversation, the form will be emailed to the student’s Bronco email account to process.
  2. Upon the student submitting the form, it is directed to the Office of the Registrar for processing. The Registrar’s Office will alert the student’s advisor, chair and/or dean of the school or college for final review. The official date of the student’s withdrawal from the university is based on the date when the Registrar approves the form.
  3. Upon completion, the Registrar will contact Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Student Auxiliaries (Bookstore, Police Office, Post Office, Library, Residence Life, and Bronco One Card Office). These offices will make the appropriate adjustment to the student’s account and notify the student of any remaining balance or refund of tuition and fees paid or any additional steps they must take to complete their withdrawal from the University.
  4. When extreme emergencies prevent a student from completing the withdrawal before the published deadline and they do not meet the requirements for withdrawing for extenuating circumstances, the student must make the request for withdrawal from the university, in writing, to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. This request must include documentation of the circumstances that prevented the student from completing the process according to published deadlines. Such requests must be made by the end of the next regular semester after the semester for which the university withdrawal is requested.

The university will not make any refund of tuition/fees or room and board charges until four (4) weeks after the student completes the official withdrawal process. All refunds will be made by the method selected by the student for their student refunds. After the end of the official withdrawal period, which is ten (10) weeks for the Fall and Spring Semesters and four (4) weeks for the Summer Sessions, adjustments can be granted only if exceptional circumstances are documented. Also within the official withdrawal period, students may request an increased withdrawal adjustment if exceptional circumstances are documented. These requests must be submitted with the appropriate documentation to the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance. After an administrative review, the university will notify the student of its decision.

A student is not officially withdrawn from the university unless and until he/she has completed the withdrawal process. The official withdrawal date is the date that the process was initiated if the student or their designee returns the form within ten (10) calendar days of that date. The following adjustment schedules are based on the first day that classes officially begin and not when a student actually begins attending classes or completes the registration process.

When a student withdraws, the university uses the schedule below to determine the percentage adjustment that will be made to the students tuition and fee cost. Once the students balance has been adjusted, the amount the student has paid will then be deducted from the student’s adjusted balance to determine if the student is due a refund or if there still remains indebtedness to the university.

Withdrawal Adjustment Schedule - All Semesters
NOTE: Withdrawal from ALL classes
(Adjustment includes Room and Board and is based on percentage of course completion)
Prior to course start date to 6.5% complete 100%
6.6% to 13.0% course completion 90%
13.1% to 19.5% course completion 80%
19.6% to 26.0% course completion 70%
26.1% to 32.5% course completion 60%
32.6% to 39.0% course completion 50%
39.1% to 45.5% course completion 40%
45.6% to 52.0% course completion 30%
52.1% to 58.5% course completion 20%
58.6% to 65.0% course completion 10%
65.1% and Thereafter  

Refunds/Adjustments for Individual Classes

Tuition and fee adjustments will be made only for courses dropped during the university’s designated drop/add periods. A student may complete an individual class withdrawal form after the close of the drop/add period, but no adjustment of tuition and fees will be made for withdrawing from individual classes. The drop/add and withdrawal procedures apply only to students enrolled in more than one class. Students enrolled in only one class who wish to drop or withdraw from that class must go through the official university withdrawal process outlined in the previous section. A full refund of tuition and fees will be made for classes canceled by the university.

Room/Board Adjustments

No adjustment of room and board charges will be made for any student who remains at the university, but who wishes to make housing changes (example: between residence halls, on/off campus) after the tenth week of the Fall or Spring Semesters. Additional room and board adjustments may be granted when a) the student withdrawals from the university, b) the student is called for military deployment, c) a medical emergency, or d) a financial hardship, all dorm and meal plan adjustments require supporting documentation and must be approved by the Director of Residence Life or designee.

Student Medical Insurance

The university requires all undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in six or more credit hours on the main campus to have medical insurance and provides a medical insurance plan for each student. Medical insurance fees are automatically assessed as part of a student’s overall tuition and fees. A student may waive the medical insurance fee for the entire fiscal year by completing an insurance waiver form at the beginning of the fall semester or by completing the waiver form by the last day of posted registration for each semester online only at www.studentinsurance.com. Documentation of proof of insurance is needed to waive the student medical insurance fee.

Indebtedness to the University

All indebtedness to the university must be satisfactorily settled before a diploma or transcript of record will be issued. A student who is indebted to the university will not be permitted to re-enroll in subsequent terms unless such indebtedness has been satisfied. A student who is delinquent in his/her payment of a student education loan is treated as one indebted to the university. Any cost associated with the collection of a past due or delinquent indebtedness will be borne by the student.